More Zero Waste Strategies
Saturday, February 04, 2012 | Author: Unknown
This week I am pet sitting my parents two dogs and parrot while they treat my grandparents to a cruise to Belize.  Their house is very different than mine now.  They rely more than anything on processed and packaged foods/items.  My mom gave me strange looks when I took my jars and bags to the store.  She understands, but thinks it's too different to do.

I will be buying my coffee in bulk and grinding it at home from now on.  It is cheaper and you know the coffee is fresh.  You can then store the coffee in an airtight container like a larger fido hermetic jar.

I will say one thing, they are lucky when it comes to their milk.  Their grocery stores carry Oberweis Dairy Products.  It's a dairy company in Northern Illinois.  Oberweis sells their milk in returnable and reusable glass bottles.  I am jealous.  My co op used to sell milk in glass bottles, but I don't know what happened.  I am going to keep two of the bottles for myself.  They are very useful for storing things.

While shopping at one of their local grocery stores, I saw roma tomatoes on sale for $0.38 a lb.  I bought about 5 lbs and made it into tomato paste/unseasoned sauce.  I made exactly 2.5 liters of canned tomatoes.
I will say one thing, the hermetic jars do take longer to properly seal than the mason jars.  I used my hermetic jars because the entire thing is reusable.  Unfortunately, the lid of the mason jars aren't reusable.
I have also noticed that it is soo easy to marinate meat in the jars.  I have been adding cut garlic cloves, pepper, salt and lemon juice to the meat over night. Definitely saves time.  To also prevent creating waste, cook your meal in one dish.  I cook a lot of my food in one skillet at the same time.  I first place my vegetables in the skillet with 1/2 cup of water.  Put the heat on high, add your meat, oil and spices.  Cook until finished, you may want to flip your protein over to fully cook it.

What zero waste ideas have you come up with?
This entry was posted on Saturday, February 04, 2012 and is filed under , , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: