Shopping Trip Ideas
Wednesday, January 25, 2012 | Author: Unknown
I have an iPhone 4s. As many of you know, it has a great camera on the phone. Since beginning this lifestyle, I have been using my iPhone to prevent the use of paper or stickers. I take photos of the item number and nutritional information on the bulk bin. This also allows me (who is a Weight Watcher) to know exactly what I'm eating and how much is in a serving.
This photo was taken from the bulk bin at my local co-op.
This photo was taken at the Iowa City Hyvee bulk section. I didn't realize that you actually have to weigh your selection at this store and get a sticker. I refuse to get the sticker, so I will just continue photographing the info and then deal with it at the checkout. 
Taking photos instead of writing down all of the info has made my life much easier.

I have also been sewing more produce bags for at the market. I realized that while I like the coolhats.biz bags, I prefer my homemade ones more. They are sturdier, it's easy to put things in them and tie the string around the top of the bag to keep them shut.  I have had issues with the other ones, where they will burst open randomly. This can be quite annoying. I will continue to use them though. Tonight I sewed 7 more bags. Four of the bags are for my mom, pictured below. I basically just go to a fabric store like Joann's and purchased several fat quarters in fabrics I like and sew them up. I will need to post how I sew them, they're really easy. I am a horrible sewer, but I can still make them.
I really do wish more grocery stores would have a bulk section. Where my parents live, there are no bulk sections, so they must buy things in packaging. I am hoping that they will start using the bags for produce at least. That should cut down on the number of plastic bags brought home. I need to look further into other solutions for them also. My mom has type 2 diabetes and I really believe that she could benefit from only bulk shopping. It does tend to limit your selections to healthier choices.

What would you guys do? The closest Whole Foods is an hour away and not worth it for weekly shopping.


This entry was posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2012 and is filed under , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: